At Ricotta Heating & Air, we’re pleased with the number of environmentally friendly products, services and dedicated individuals there are around greater St. Louis. From Eureka to Godfrey, even small environmental changes can help make the air quality a little better in your neighborhood, which is why Ricotta is committed to helping reduce the impact our products and our customers are making on the environment. With that goal in mind, here are a few simple suggestions to help you “go green” around your house today!
• Turn your hot water heater’s temperature down five or more degrees. You probably won’t notice the difference in temperature, but you should notice the long term savings on your gas and electric bill. Plus your reduced usage means less energy consumed.
• Program your thermostat to your family’s routine. In the summer, your home can stay warmer while you’re away at work as well as in the evening when temperatures are naturally lower outside. Bump the thermostat even warmer when you go on vacation. If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, consider upgrading to a more efficient model.
• Make recycling your glassware, paper, cardboard and plastics a habit. Every day, every bottle, everything you can. It’s amazing how much we consume that can be reclaimed and re-purposed.
• Use Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs. CFLs use about 75% less energy and last about far longer than incandescent bulbs.
• Compost kitchen and yard scraps. You can easily compost egg shells, coffee grounds, vegetable and fruit leftovers, and yard waste. A moist, aerated compost bin helps them back into healthy compost in less than six months.
• Help insulate your home by planting more trees and shrubs. Shrubs and trees can provide natural insulation, reducing your home’s heating and cooling needs.
• Replace your old, inefficient home comfort system with a new high-efficiency model. You can begin saving on energy bills right away. Plus, many new systems qualify for tax rebates and incentives. Ask your Ricotta service rep for details.
–Lew of the Ricotta Team