Your home is probably your most valuable asset. The better you maintain it, the more it holds its worth. Here are 3 timely tips to get you started this November:
- Stock up on furnace filters and change them monthly.
- Consider switching out your thermostat for a programmable thermostat.
- If your home is heated by a hot-water radiator, bleed the valves by opening them slightly and when water appears, close them.
- Remove flammable items from the area surrounding your furnace.
2) Inspect Roof, Gutters & Downspouts
- If your weather temperature will fall below 32 degrees in the winter, adding extra insulation to the attic will prevent warm air from creeping to your roof and causing ice dams.
- Check flashing to ensure water cannot enter the home.
- Clean out the gutters and use a hose to spray water down the downspouts to clear away debris.
- Consider installing leaf guards on the gutters or extensions on the downspouts to direct water away from the home.
3) Get the Fireplace Ready
- If the chimney hasn’t been cleaned for more than 2 years, call a chimney sweep to remove soot and creosote.
- Inspect the fireplace damper for proper opening and closing.
- Check the mortar between bricks and tuckpoint, if necessary.
- Remove flammable items from the area surrounding your fireplace.
Let Ricotta Heating & Air help you get ready for the winter season with a fall furnace tune up. Give us a call to schedule that today!